Thursday, October 7, 2010

Let's Talk Controversy!

When it comes to the drinking age, a lot of people believe it should be lowered. I honestly do not have an opinion on the matter. I have the ability to see two sides to every debate and I just can't seem to pick one.

I WANNA PARTY HEARTY NOW!!! LOWER THE AGE!!!
 

So... I guess I can see why someone might want to lower the drinking age. Many argue that if you can go to war at the age of seventeen then you should be able to down a few. If young adults are not taught at a young age to drink in moderation, they will binge and this leads to DEATH and such... Some say that is the drinking age is lowered, it may become less appealing since it is no longer forbidden, because of course, we all want what we cannot have. Also, the current drinking age prevents young adults from drinking in bars and promotes drinking in unsupervised areas, where drinking is more dangerous and drinking too much is so much easier to do.

WHAT?! DRINKING?! WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO?!?!?!


*Gasp* So many tragic accidents have been caused by drunk driving. One can argue that not everyone who drinks goes off and drives irresponsibly, but it happens. The physical changes that teens undergo are not compatible with the effects of alcohol. It can cause them to do things they they would never do if not intoxicated. Our brains are not fully developed until around the age of 21. The younger a person starts drinking, the more likely they are to become an alcoholic.

As you can see, both sides have valid arguments. I myself have no interest in drinking and don't really care one way or the other...


5 comments:

  1. Nice! I completely understand your "on the fence" deal. I loved the pictures too by the way; and I am really glad that you are above the influence. :)
    SK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being able to see both sides of an argument is great, Caitlin. Do realize, though, that you're looking into entering a profession (Music Therapy) that will require you to make some hard choices on the behalf of your clients.

    And make sure you proofread. You've got a couple of entertaining typos up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a difficult subject to only support one side of. You've brought up a lot of interesting and valid points. I did not even think of the fact that the human brain does not fully develop until around the age 21. This reason in itself seems like it would keep the drinking age where it is. I'm glad you're going to try to stay away from alcohol. I would not even know what to do if you came in the room drunk and throwing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Caitlin, I'm totally with you on this one. I'm another "on the fencer." tThere are the extreme examples of why it should or shouldn't be lowered but it just comes down to choosing the lesser of to eviles I guess.

    ReplyDelete