Wednesday, September 29, 2010

FLock it up Freshmen!

(The following speech is just an example of a possible outcome to events that have yet to take place and may not be 100% accurate when said events actually occur.)

          Hi! My name is Caitlin Swett and I am here today to talk to you about my journey from freshman year up until now. The decision to be a music student is not an easy one by any means. Everyone is telling you how hard it will be, not only to find a job with your music degree, but obtaining that degree. Music students on campus are known for their hectic schedules and for their non-existent social lives. But don't let this scare you! Any time you think about just giving up or you just need a little extra encouragement to carry on, remember why you chose music in the first place. Never forget how it makes you feel. You live and breath music or you would have never made the choice to be here. I am currently a music therapy major and my primary instrument is percussion. Any questions so far?


"So you're a drummer?"

No. I am a percussionist. I play multiple percussion instruments and I can actually read music.

"How did you decide to major in music therapy?"

Well I was certain that I wanted to do something with music, but I wasn't quite sure what, so I did some research and came across music therapy. I was amazed at all of the things that music therapy could do. And I fell in love with the idea of changing someone's life through music.

"Have you ever had any doubts  about your major?"

Of course! I wouldn't have been human if I didn't. All  of that work for only a chance at having a career in music would make anyone doubt their choices. All of freshman year I was determined to switch to a performance major. Performing is what I love more than anything in the world an who wouldn't want to spend their life getting paid to do what they love? In the end, I stuck with music therapy, knowing I can always perform on the side for fun.

"How do you deal with all of the work that  comes with a music major?"

I'm still working on that one. If there are a million things you want to get involved in, try and narrow it down to the ones that are most important to you. Learn to say no. Also, KEEP A SCHEDULE. Get an academic planner and write down EVERYTHING. It takes some of the strain off of your brain. And always set aside some time for yourself, and when you are finding it hard to focus on your studies, just remember, you get to have fun later.


"So, overall you are pretty much awesome right?"

Why yes, yes I am.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you told the freshmen to not be scared! I was told that many times my first couple weeks before I absolutely was ready to give up! I'm glad you told them why you chose your major as well. I know I wonder why upperclassmen put themselves through the torture of achieving a music degree everyday! The schedule thing is genius! I've used one since my senior year of high school and never looked back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very inventive idea to put the topic into a conversation. You are absolutely right about doubting being a music major. We really do torture ourselves to do what we love but no one really realizes how muck pain we endure to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT! You're script really made me happy and it seemed so realistic. I could only imagine how our littles would feel after this. This was well thought out and I enjoyed your journey from wanting to change your major. I too, also wanted to change my major because I thought that I wasn't as good as a musician as the other violists. But as it turns out, because I'm just starting out with this, I only have room to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with the fact that keeping a schedule is the MOST important thing about surviving college. I'm not one to write down assignments or keep track of dates, but ever since that first day of classes, I've written down everything. It definitely helps me stay focused! I do love the fact that you're planning to stay with your major because you're amazing at what you do and other people should be able to enjoy your awesomeness. I also love the fact that you see this as an opportunity to help people. I completely agree that we all suffer for things we love, but, hey, no pain no gain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is your blog so awesome?? Any way, I really like the way you made it seem like an actual discussion. I too agree with the remembering why you became a Music Major part. If I didn't think about how much music makes my soul, I would completely give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caitlin,
    Well done. I love the format of your entry. I also like your advice, "Learn to say no." No is a hard word to learn, but it will serve you well in life. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete